Neuro Note #1 - Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)

FightBack - My Recovery From Traumatic Brain Injury | Pekka Hyysalo | TEDxTurku

This is the Ted Talk I chose over a traumatic brain injury. Pekka spoke about his experience being a professional skier and a skiing accident he experienced which caused a traumatic brain injury. He explained the the situations he faced, what the experience was like, how it affected him mentally, and about the recovery process. It was a motivational video that could inspire anyone with a neurological disorder or to simply have someone to empathize with after experiencing something so traumatic. I watched this video to further my learning in the sense of hearing, and learning about, a first hand experience of someone with a traumatic brain injury considering I will be working with client of this population one day. 

I chose a Ted Talk because I really enjoy Ted Talk videos as I find them educational, motivational, raw, and really inspiring. I chose a traumatic brain injury because of the relevance to our current course work in OT 537 and due to my heightened interested of working with this population one day. 

What I learned from this video was that Pekka had experienced a diffuse axonal injury (type of traumatic brain injury). It was cool to hear him say this, and for me to know what he was talking about. I learned that rehabilitation is very important to injuries like Pekka's. Without rehab services, Pekka would probably not be walking and skiing again like he is today. He had such a positive mindset and outlook which played a heavy role in his rehabilitative services. When he was told by his physician that he would never walk or ski again, he basically said "watch me." This proves as a future occupational therapy practitioner myself that I need to be just as motivated to get my client to their goals as they are (therapeutic use of self). It also proves that a positive mindset and hard work do wonders for anyone receiving rehab services. I will most definitely carry this strategy in the future when working with, and motivating, my clients to push themself to their fullest and best ability. This especially will be prevalent with my clients who have experienced a neurological injury like Pekka. Part of his rehab was to get back on skis to learn how to ski again. This was client centered and motivated him greatly. This ties in to everything I have learned in OT school thus far. 

If you too would like to watch Pekka's inspiring Ted Talk, you can find here:


Source: 

Talks, T. (2014, December 15). FightBack - my recovery from traumatic brain injury | Pekka Hyysalo | TEDxTurku.Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZkNABCyMYk

Comments

Popular Posts