Occupation Centered Practice, Pediatrics - Post SIM Reflection

Overall, this SIM encounter went well. It was hard to see the parent emotionally upset about her child. It was also and eye opening experience to see that not everyone knows what I know. We get so caught up in our own day-to-day lives that we think everyone will understand what we do and the information we give. Once I started talking about SPD, she looked even more confused. This was an in the moment experience where I had to adapt how I was talking and explaining things. I evaluated the look on her face, and adapted my responses. I ensured to repeat myself, ask if she had any questions, and ask if what I said was aligning with what she had reported and the information I was given. This was very relatable to a "real-world" experience because I will have to meet with patients, and even caregivers, and explain findings and scores frequently. Not every encounter will go perfect with perfect emotions at play.

If I were given this opportunity again, I would definitely approach it differently. Instead of being so worried about spouting out information, I would facilitate more questions. The parent looked fairly worried and upset, and sometimes it's important to address that first. At the end of the day, we are all humans experiencing real emotion, especially if it involves a family member. I would be a listening ear and simply ask what is going through her mind, and what emotions are you feeling, prior to even jumping into the report and scoring. I also would use better terminology and layman's terms. I would make it as simply put as possible and not use fluff words or include non-important information. I would come more organized with shorter, easier explanations of SPD and what a "sensory-seeker" is. Overall, I am pleased with my performance in the SIM encounter.

How can a caring attitude be implemented by an OT student?
1. Body positioning. I made sure to sit next to her instead of across from her. I made sure to turn my body toward her and lean in so she knew I was listening and really cared about the information I was giving. I also ensured to keep great eye contact and nod whenever she said something.

2. Communication/Language. To ensure a caring attitude, it is important to validate feelings of the person you are talking to with statements like "I know this is hard to hear" or "Im here to support you in any way I can, and everything you are saying and feeling is valid." Using a soft, empathetic tone of voice also ensures a caring attitude and communication. Whenever someone is soft, light, and empathetic with their tone, it validates their emotions, feelings, and concerns with a caring response.

In my future practice, I will always ensure to put my client first. At the end of the day, Im there to ensure they are able to get back to participating in their everyday meaningful occupations. I will ensure to be empathetic, caring, an active listener, and to make sure to put their needs and concerns first. This SIM encounter solidified how important it is to be empathetic and caring. Sometimes we (OT's) could be the only hope for our patients, or the patients caregiver. Validating their concerns, needs, and areas that need to be addressed through empathy, effective listening, and caring attitude will ensure an amazing therapeutic trust and rapport. This will set the foundation for both the client and OT to provide the best care possible to get them back to optimal occupational performance. This is something I will carry with me, and implement into my practice, for life.


Comments

Popular Posts