Mock Interview Reflection

Today I got to participate in a mock interview with Dr. Shannon Hughes who is a faculty member of the Department of Physical Therapy. I was interviewing for a position at an inpatient rehabilitation facility as a new grad occupational therapist. 

Overall this interview went very well and was exactly what I was expecting. I have had a lot of experience with interviews, whether it be good or bad, interviewer or interviewee, which has thoroughly prepared me for any interview I encounter.  I prepared for this interview simply by reading about the facility and knowing who would be interviewing me. I read over several websites that gave tips on things such as what to ask during an interview, or what not to say. I did not practice however as I have found that people present themselves in an insincere way when they sound too scripted or polished. 

Something I will do differently next time during an interview is try and be a little bit more concise. One thing about me is that I am a talker. I could turn everything I say into a story or keep adding on to it. During an interview it is important I focus on the highlights and then expand on things that are asked to be expanded on by the interviewer. One main takeaway during this process is that you always need to be genuine and stand out. I am more than likely not the only person being interviewed for a position, and focusing on making yourself different is very important. For me, I think my personality and ability to connect with others is what really makes me different and stand out. One thing I will continue to focus and pride myself on is the ability to build those interpersonal connections and let my personality shine, even if it is for a 10 minute interview. 

I am very grateful for this process as this is very practical to a very real situation I will soon encounter. I have no doubt that I will ace my interview as a future occupational therapist for someone's facility! 

Comments

Popular Posts