Who am I and how did I get here?

As you can tell already by the huge header, my name is Zach Harrington. I was born and raised in central Arkansas in a city named Cabot. After living there all of my life and attending and graduating from Cabot High School, I finally moved away (can I get a hallelujah, AMEN). I moved to Conway, Arkansas where I attended the University of Central Arkansas. I received my Bachelor of Science in Substance Abuse Counseling/Pre-Occupational Therapy (technical degree name, Addiction Studies - Treatment). I always knew I wanted to be an occupational therapist, as you can refer to my previous post, but I had no idea what I wanted to receive my bachelors degree in. After jumping around from psychology to kinesiology to geriatrics (they discontinued this major as soon as I switched) I was feeling in a bit of a rut because I wasn't sure what would be the best fit for me in order to prepare me for OT school. After being introduced to the addiction studies program through a friend, I decided why not. I found this major very interesting, humbling and kind of crazy to say the least. I got the experience of attending AA meetings, NA meetings and even doing an internship at Recovery Centers of Arkansas which is an inpatient 30-60 day rehabilitation program. Most of the clients there are court ordered and have absolutely no desire to be there. Notice the term client is used there, just like in OT, not "patient." I had the opportunity to run group counseling sessions, do client background screenings and much more. My experience in college couldn't have prepared me more to be where I am today which is at the University of Tennessee Health Science Center in Memphis, Tennessee. 

Wait, you jumped from Arkansas to Tennessee just like that? yeah that's basically how I felt too. I chose UCA because they have a Doctor of Occupational Therapy program there. I did not tour any other universities when I was in high school because I was bound and determined to attend this school and eventually be in the OT program here. By the time the application process rolled around, I was completely convinced that there was no way that I got in to this program. I mean, how could I not? Im a guy, making me a minority in the field and program, I was in the Pre-OT club, I knew all the department professors by name just as they knew me. I attended mach interview sessions, I became friends with students in the program who would eventually advocate for me being in the program. I did everything humanly possible to make my dream of attending here become a reality. 

The day emails went out to applicants about wether or not they got in to the program, I was prepared. I knew I was getting an interview, again, how could I not? at 4:00pm I was at work when the email popped up in my inbox. from "University of Central Arkansas Occupational Therapy" and it stated "..we regret to inform you that you did not rank in the applicant pool." and in that moment everything would change for me. I was overcome with emotion of anger, sadness, defeat, doubt etc. you name it. This was my only plan. I had no other plan. What was I going to do? am I a failure? after talking to my best friend for several years now and my now classmate, Bailey Diprima, she encouraged me to apply to the UTHSC OT program because that was her back up plan. I knew nothing about the program. I didn't even know if I had the pre-reqs to get in here. I had nothing else to lose so I started my research. I had the pre-reqs, I met qualifications, I had nothing else to lose. So the day before the application was due for this program, I submitted it. And about a month later I would receive and email that I was invited for an interview. WHAT? me? Zach, the failure from UCA? I couldn't believe it. I was acting if was I was already accepted in to the program. 

Once the interview day rolled around I was completely prepared. I had been researching Memphis, the university, the program and even the current students. The interview process felt so easy, so natural. I loved everyone interviewing me including Professor Lancaster and Maggie Widick a 2nd year student. I knocked it out of the park, I had natural answers to their questions and I could display who I really was and why I was fit for the program and even why I love occupational therapy so much. I left feeling confident and I had fallen in love with the program and everything I had currently known about it. After this day, my hopes were extremely high. I couldn't believe that I could possibly like another university or dream coming to a different program than UCA, much less living in Memphis, Tennessee. But I did. On May 4th, I would receive an email that would genuinely change my life. An acceptance email into the UTHSC OT program from Dr. Sasse. The feeling I had rush over me is indescribable. I no longer felt like a failure, I didn't feel defeated and I finally knew that I actually had a purpose in life.

I mention my feelings about this moment because I want to express that many times in life we have a plan, and only one plan. And sometimes out of nowhere an opportunity or a last resort may arise like it did for me because your first plan didn't work out. Often times, that is actually the best outcome you could possibly have compared to the plan you had set out for yourself. The feeling of defeat is real, so is the feeling of being a failure and not amounting to anything because of denial or rejection. Circumstances in life, just like this one, have taught me a lot about my own life and molded who I am today. I would not change where I am even if I had the opportunity to go back and have everything work out just like I wanted it to. I am absolutely in love with Memphis, my classmates, my program and even the university I attend. I know I am exactly where I need to be. Just like in OT, you have to learn to adjust, be adaptable and work with what's available to you to make the best of the situation. I cannot wait to continue my journey of becoming an occupational therapist at UTHSC. It has only been a month since I started this program and I can already tell the impact it is going to make on me. 

This is just a small snapshot of me and my life. I hope that others can find comfort knowing that just because what we wanted doesn't work out, doesn't mean it's the end. It doesn't mean there isn't something better out there in store because 9 times out of 10, there is. 

As a constant reminder to myself, and what others should remind themselves too in times of doubt, the best is yet to come. 





Comments

  1. Wonderful story! We believe in the power and the potential of humans in a grass-roots and very
    holistic sense, and that's exactly why we use a holistic admissions process here at UTHSC. I'm SO glad you found your way here!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts